Write My Rights isn’t legal advice. Scroll down to learn more.
We know, we know — this can be a long, tedious and dense read. We wish we could summarize it all into one sentence. Basically, our service writes a custom letter for you to help spur communication between you and another party. IT IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. If you’re looking for legal advice, consult a lawyer.
The following are the terms and conditions that will govern Write my Rights (“Letters”, “us” or “we”) providing letter writing services (the “Services”). By accessing Letters and using our website and Services (the “Platform”), you are agreeing to be bound by these Terms of Service. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you cannot use the Platform or receive Services.
- Scope of Services
The Platform provides you with the Services, generally in the form of a letter(s) written and compiled by us based on information provided by you. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE PLATFORM, OR ANY OF THE SERVICES PROVIDED WITHIN THE PLATFORM, DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE.
E-mail will be our primary form of communication with you. You need a valid e-mail address in order to use the Platform.
- Accurate Information and Your Behaviour
When using the Platform you agree to: (a) provide complete, accurate and current information, especially with regards to your e-mail address; (b) abide by all applicable local, provincial, federal laws and regulations; (c) not create a false identity or otherwise attempt to mislead Letters; (d) not transmit any spam or any material that contains viruses, worms, cancelbots, trojan horses, time bombs, or any similar harmful programs; (e) not interfere with or disrupt networks connected to the Platform or violate the regulations, policies or procedures of such networks; (f) not attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Platform, other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Platform; and (g) not interfere with another person’s use of the Platform.
As consideration for the Services you have selected, you agree to pay Letters the applicable Service fees. All fees payable hereunder are non-refundable unless provided otherwise.
- Content of services
The contents of the Services are determined by the information you provide to us using the Platform. We will not independently verify the truthfulness or accuracy of the information provided by you.
- Grant of Licence
The Platform and the Services provided thereunder contain proprietary, copyrighted information, documentation, computer code, and other materials. As between yourself and Letters, we retain title to and ownership of all rights in and to the Platform and the Services, including copyright and all other intellectual property rights.
In exchange for payment of the applicable Services fees, we grant you a royalty free, non-exclusive, non-transferable licence to use the applicable Service, being the letters(s) or other product that you paid for (the “License”). Each payment of the Service fee for a given Service will result in a separate License granted to you.
What you MAY do with the License:
- Access the Services provided;
- Printing one copy of the Services provided; or
- Distribute the Services only to the party to which such Services are addressed (i.e., you will provide information for the addressee (the “Intended Recipient”). The Intended Recipient is the only party that you are allowed to distribute the Services to.)
What you MAY NOT do with License:
- Distribute, or make available the Services or any portions of it to other parties, except for the Intended Recipient;
- Copy, paraphrase, reproduce, publish, sell, rent, loan, lease, sub-license, transfer, market, redistribute, or otherwise part with the Services or portions of it, in electronic or print form; or
- Decompile, reverse engineer, or disassemble the Services, or create any derivative works based on the Services
A Licence will terminate immediately without notice from us if you breach any term of the Licence.
- Links and Resources
We may provide links on the Platform to other websites. We do not control the information found on websites linked from the platform, nor can we confirm that any of this information is valid or accurate. We specifically disclaim any responsibility for the content of these links or the information found thereon. Please review and use these links at your own risk.
We may also, from time to time, include information about certain jurisdiction specific rules, laws or practices on our website. We are not constantly updating this information, nor are we reviewing the content of this information for accuracy. Please review this information at your own risk.
- Disclaimer of Warranty on Services
The Platform is provided by us “as is” and is without representations, warranties or conditions of any kind. You assume total responsibility to achieve whatever the intended results may be, and for the use of the Services and Platform. WE DISCLAIM AND YOU WAIVE ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, MERCHANTABLE QUALITY, DURABILITY, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. WE DO NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT ACCESS TO THE PLATFORM WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. WHILE WE ATTEMPT TO ENSURE THAT ONLINE ACCESS AND USE OF THE PLATFORM IS SAFE, WE CANNOT AND DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT OUR COMPUTER SYSTEMS OR SERVER(S) ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
We do not represent or warrant that the information contained in the Platform or Services will meet your needs. We make no representations, warranties or conditions with respect to any data gathered or obtained by us from any source (including yourself), or for present or future methodology used by us in producing or obtaining such data.
- Not Legal Advice
You acknowledge the Platform or the Services provided thereunder do not constitute legal or other professional advice. You acknowledge that your use of the Platform comes with risks that may include, but are not limited to, endangering your legal rights, if any, that you have with regards to any third party. As such, we encourage you to, and you acknowledge that you have had the chance to, seek out independent legal advice prior to using the Platform.
- Limitation of Liability
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE PLATFORM. We are not responsible for any costs incurred as a result of the use of or inability to use the Platform, including lost profits or revenue, loss of data, or failure to realize expected outcomes. In no event shall our total liability to you for all damages, losses, and causes of action (whether in contract, tort (including negligence), or otherwise) arising from or relating to the Platform exceed direct damages in an amount equivalent to the amount paid by you for the Services.
You agree to indemnify and hold us harmless from and against any loss, cost, expense or damage arising out of any claim, suit, action or judgment brought against us by any recipient of the Services (whether yourself or a person that receives a letter derived from the Services whether sent by you or otherwise) or any other person or entity arising from your use of the Platform or Services.
- Controlling Law and Severability
This Terms of Service and any Licence granted hereunder will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the province of British Columbia and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein without regard to conflicts of law. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of this Terms of Service, or portion thereof, to be unenforceable, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to effect the intent of the parties, and the remainder of this Terms of Service will remain in full force and effect.
- Complete Agreement
This Terms of Service represents the entire agreement between you and us with respect to the Services and the Platform, and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous understandings or agreements, written or oral, regarding the Services and the Platform.
- Changes to Terms of Service
We reserve the right to change this Terms of Service. Any changes will be effective upon posting (electronic or otherwise) of a revised Terms of Service.
Dated: June 15, 2022
We know, we know — this can also be a long, tedious and dense read. We wish we could summarize it all into one sentence. Basically, we won’t use or disclose any of the data you provide to us except in very narrow circumstances. But for more detail, read on.
1. Information Collected
Letters collects and receives information and data relating to you during your access and use of the Platform (the “User Information”). User Information includes without limitation identifying information (such as name, address, telephone number, email address, billing information, and banking information).
Letters also generates and collects information and data that is based on and derived from your use of the Platform (the “Other Information”). Other Information includes, without limitation, the following:
- Services Metadata. When you interact with the Platform, metadata is generated that provides additional context about the way you engage.
- Log Data. As with most websites and technology services delivered over the Internet, Letters servers automatically collect and record information when Letters is accessed. This log data may include the Internet Protocol (IP) address, the address of the web page visited before using the Platform, browser type and settings, the date and time the Platform was used, information about browser configuration and plugins, language preferences and cookie data. This Other Information is used to optimize the delivery of the Platform.
- Device Information. Letters collects information about devices used to access the Platform, including the type of device, what operating system is used, device settings, application IDs, unique device identifiers and crash data. Whether Letters collects some or all of this Other Information often depends on the type of device used and its settings. This Other Information is used to optimize the delivery of the Platform.
- Location Information. Letters collects information from Users to determine their approximate location, such as their service address, IP address or any other location information from devices in accordance with the consent process provided by the device.
- Third Party Services. Letters may receive data about organizations, industries, website visitors, marketing campaigns and other matters related to the Platform from parent corporation(s), affiliates and subsidiaries, Letters partners or others service providers that Letters uses to make the Other Information more useful. This data may be combined with Other Information Letters collects and might include aggregate level data.
- Additional Information Provided to Letters. Letters receives Other Information when submitted to the Platform or if you participate in a focus group, contest, activity or event, apply for a job, request support, interact with Letters social media accounts or otherwise communicate with Letters.
Generally, you are not under a statutory or contractual obligation to provide any information or data to Letters. However, certain information and data is collected automatically when accessing and using the Platform, and blocking such collections may result in Letters’ inability to provide you with access and use to any part or whole of the Platform. If you do not consent to Letters’ collection of User Information and Other Information, do not access or use the Platform.
2. Information Use
User Information and Other Information (collectively, “Service Data”) will be used by Letters in furtherance of Letters’ legitimate interests in operating the Platform. More specifically, Letters uses Service Data:
- To provide, update, maintain and protect the Platform. This includes use of Service Data to support delivery of the Platform under the Terms of Service, prevent or address service errors, security or technical issues, analyze and monitor usage, trends and other activities;
- As required by applicable law, legal process or regulation;
- To communicate with you by responding to your requests, comments and questions;
- To develop and provide additional features for the Platform;
- To send emails and other communications. Letters may send you service, technical and other administrative emails, messages and other types of communications. Letters may also contact you to inform you about changes in the Platform and important service-related notices, such as security notices. These communications are considered part of the Platform and you may not opt out of them. In addition, Letters sometimes sends emails about new product features, promotional communications or other news about Letters. These are marketing messages and you may opt out of them;
- To investigate and help prevent security issues and abuse; and
- To create and market aggregated and anonymized user data.
3. Information Storage
4. Information Retention
In general, Letters keeps your Service Data throughout your relationship with Letters. This means Letters will keep your Service Data after you have paid for Services, even in situations of a one-off Service request.
Once you terminate your relationship with Letters, Letters will generally continue to store archived copies of your Service Data for legitimate business purposes and to comply with applicable law, except when Letters receives a valid erasure request.
If Service Data is aggregated or de-identified so it is no longer reasonably associated with an identified or identifiable natural person, Letters may indefinitely retain and use it for any business purpose.
5. Information Sharing
This section describes how Letters may share and disclose Service Data.
5.1 Third Party Service Providers and Partners.
Letters may engage third party companies or individuals as service providers or business partners to process Service Data and support the Letters business. These third parties may, for example, provide virtual computing and storage services.
5.2 Third Party Services.
You may access third party software, applications, products, services or website links through the Platform (the “Third Party Services”). When enabled, Letters may share Service Data with Third Party Services. Third Party Services are not owned or controlled by Letters and third parties that have been granted access to Service Data may have their own policies and practices for its collection and use. Please check the privacy settings and notices in these Third Party Services or contact the provider for any questions. Letters disclaims any liability arising in connection with Third Party Services.
5.3 Corporate Affiliates.
Letters may share Service Data with its corporate affiliates, parents and/or subsidiaries.
5.4 During a Change to Letters’ Business.
If Letters engages in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, sale of some or all of Letters’ assets or stock, financing, public offering of securities, acquisition of all or a portion of the Letters business, a similar transaction or proceeding, or steps in contemplation of such activities (e.g. due diligence), some or all Service Data may be shared or transferred with such participating parties, subject to standard confidentiality arrangements.
5.5 Aggregated or De-identified Data.
Letters may disclose or use aggregated or de-identified Service Data indefinitely and for any purpose. For example, Letters may share aggregated or de-identified Service Data with prospects or partners for business or research purposes, such as telling a prospective Letters customer the average amount of time spent within the Platform.
5.6 To Comply with Laws.
If Letters receives a request for information from a governing or regulatory authority, Letters may disclose Service Data if Letters reasonably believes disclosure is in accordance with or required by any applicable law, regulation or legal process. Letters is released of any liability associated with any such disclosures made in good faith.
5.7 To Enforce Rights, Prevent Fraud, And For Safety.
Letters may disclose or use Service Data to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of Letters or third parties, including enforcing contracts or policies, or in connection with investigating and preventing fraud or security issues.
5.8 With Consent.
Letters may share Service Data with third parties when Letters has your consent to do so, which may be obtained through the Platform.
6. Information Control
Letters understands that you have legal rights over your Service Data, and takes reasonable steps in accordance with applicable laws to allow you to access, correct, amend, delete, port, or limit the use of your Service Data.
Any suggestions or comments for improving or modifying the Platform that are included in your communications with Letters (“Feedback”) will be deemed to be non-confidential and non-proprietary to you, and you agree that: (a) Letters is therefore not subject to any confidentiality obligations with respect to the Feedback; (b) the Feedback is not confidential or proprietary information of any third party and you have all of the necessary rights to disclose the Feedback to Letters; (c) Letters may irrevocably freely use, reproduce, publicize and exploit the Feedback; and (d) you are not, nor is any other party, entitled to receive any compensation or reimbursement of any kind from Letters in relation to the Feedback.
Letters works hard to protect the Service Data from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. These steps take into account the sensitivity of the Service Data and the current state of technology. Letters follows industry standards on information security management to safeguard sensitive information, such as financial information, intellectual property, employee details and any other personal information entrusted to Letters. Letters information security systems apply to people, processes and information technology systems on a risk management basis.
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, Letters cannot guarantee the absolute security of Service Data, and makes no warranties to you in connection with same.
9. Note to Parents and Guardians
Letters does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 years of age or any person under the age of majority in any jurisdiction. The Platform is not directed to children under the age of 13 and children under 13 are not permitted to use the Platform. If Letters becomes aware that Letters has unknowingly collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, Letters will delete or disable such information. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13, and you believe that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us immediately.
10. Contact Us
Dated: June 15, 2022